Sunday, July 10, 2005

Best suggested title for Viking Heist Movie thus far:

ODIN'S ELEVEN

From Wyndham the Triffid. The only disadvantage I can see with this is I may have to write another six vikings in to make up the numbers. Or maybe just get the existing ones to move around a bit.

Off to see Sigur Ros soonish*, and as it's a Sunday, I've been able to book a first class seat all the way to London for but a tenner. I've just discovered it's an outdoor concert (forecast okay, cross fingers) so my wardrobe plans have somewhat downshifted to Scruffy.

In the meantime, these are fun:

amusing photographs of jumping cats

Voltron Gets Served

A list of fictional currencies

Also, while researching the Cabinet, I realised I'd completely forgotten that Jadis from The Magician's Nephew goes on to become the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Apparently only three books are being adapted (I'm guessing those two and... The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?) which nicely gets them out of making The Last Battle, which is both depressing and stupid.

The trailer is pretty impressive, but I don't like the way they've made the wardrobe look like a portal, with big pillars on either side. May as well have a big sign stuck to it saying 'DO YOU SEE? HMMMM?'. On the plus side, the landscapes and creatures look LOTR-ish enough to be impressive, but just different enough to have their own feel. Film-making people, you may continue...


* I had completely forgotten about this until I saw The Life Aquatic on tuesday, which uses Staralfur at its climactic scene, at which point my thinkin' went like this: I love that song/Aren't I going to see them soon?/Isn't it Sunday?/Probably ought to get train tickets then/And accomodation/And really, what's the point of being all smug about updating the calender function on the iPod if you're not going to actually look at it occasionally.

Do go and have a listen to Staralfur though. Annoyingly in the film they cut it off just at the bit when it dies away, when in the song proper, it suddenly comes whooshing back, with this bass that's just like what a glacier's heartbeat would sound like, if they had them, which as far as I know, they may do. I had to stop playing it in Waterstone's, as customers would sink to the floor, weeping. Although often they'd suddenly get up and rush to the kid's section to buy all the Moomin books, so it all worked out okay in the end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was an interesting move for Disney to make a film of TLTW&TW. Well, they did lose out on Harry Potter.

It's also interesting that it's paid off in more ways than one - particularly the Christian groups who are now ending their boycott of the company due to Lewis' strong Christian themes in the series.

Hmm...I'm actually thinking about (and wanting) turkish delight now. Bizarre.

:-)

Anonymous said...

James, I went to see Sigur Ros at the Lowry last night and they were AMAZING! I'm only annoyed that I was in such a musical bliss-filled state, I failed to take down the setlist. Gah- have a great time!

Summer said...

I can't think of a single meteorological experience that wouldn't amplify the Sigur Ros experience. Rain? Chillingly lovely. Snow? Delicious on the tongue and perfect with Hopelandic. Clear skies? Peacefully grand.

Enjoy. My jealousy seethes in the best way possible.

Anonymous said...

Smoo, thank y'kindly! I can now chronologically reminis *sighs*

Anonymous said...

To divert back to the title of the post... Odin's only got one eye - maybe you could get away with half the number?

Anonymous said...

Hello James, just thought I'd add a comment here. As a massive GW fan I've often come on here for a read but I haven't posted on here yet. I'm usually found on the IMDb GW message boards, anyway - thanks for the mention of The Life Aquatic and the Sigur Ros track. I saw that film recently and really wanted to know what the track used at the climatic end scene of the film was. Looking the soundtrack up didn't help because it's not on there! It's been driving me mad because the track really affected me, but now I know what it is, so that's great! I'm going to go out now and buy some Sigur Ros!

All the best with GW2 - looking forward to it!

James Henry said...

Always happy to show someone the way to the mighty ros. New one supposed to be very good as well...